Spring has sprung on the UMBC campus and I couldn’t be more excited! As someone who cannot stand the winter or snow, I was more than excited to be able to bring out my spring wardrobe this morning and have lunch outside with Jaime, Josh, and Tyson this afternoon! It was so great to see all of the students outside during free hour enjoying the beautiful weather too! We saw many students eating lunch on the patio of the Commons, laying on the benches outside of our office, and doing homework on the wall outside the library. Now, I’m curious to see whether people were laying by the outdoor pool or not… I may just have to take a walk over there later to check it out!
This weekend I was doing the Saturday tour and information session and I had a lot of questions about what students are doing after graduation. With the state of the economy, a lot of students (and parents!) and concerned about what happens after college. Well good news for you – we have had some pretty accomplished alumni! This past week, the Baltimore Sun (the local newspaper for those not from Maryland) ran a story about the accomplishments of the UMBC alumni. Feel free to check out the full story (with pictures), but I’ll do an overview for you too!
- Diane Bell-McKoy, president and CEO of Associated Black Charities (non-profit) and former member of the Baltimore school board
- Guiliano Celenza, former forward for the Baltimore Blast soccer team
- Richard Chisolm, cinematographer and documentary film maker
- Brian Dannelly, director of the movie “Saved!” and TV show “Weeds”
- Shari Elliker, WBAL-AM radio talk show host
- Lafayette Gilchrist, jazz pianist
- Duff Goldman, pastry chef and focus of the Food Network’s “Ace of Cakes”
- Adrienne Jones, State Delegate
- Allan Kittleman, Senator and former Senate minority whip
- Rev. Leo Patalinghug, host of the online cooking show “Grace before Meals” and beat iron chef Bobby Flay in a throwdown with his winning Fusion Steak Fajitas (which I have been lucky enough to taste… and they are excellent!)
- Kathleen Turner, Oscar-nominated actress
- William Whiteford, Oscar winning documentary film maker
Now get off the computer and enjoy the beautiful weather! And if it’s not nice where you are, you should be spending your time getting your bracket ready for March Madness 🙂